Sunday 13 January 2019

Fish Finger Sandwiches and Bath Salts

"Self Care is the actions that individuals take for themselves, on behalf of and with others in order to develop, protect, maintain and improve their health, wellbeing or wellness."


Today is self care Sunday, I usually practise some form of extra self care on this day of the week. I perform self care regularly through the week (or i try to) because I've seen first hand the benefits from it. It can be something as simple as making sure I drink at least one glass of water, go for a walk or something mega like clearing out my wardrobe (i really should get on that).
Sundays I tend to drop my son off with his Dad and then go out and enjoy some time with my friends before I come home, eat an actual meal, have a long bath and do something i enjoy with no distractions.

Today's self care consisted of fish finger sandwiches, seriously, who doesn't adore them? And then I had a red hot bath with some easy listening and bath salts that I received as a gift at Christmas. This is a bit pants compared to my usual Sundays but it's all I could manage today. I'm in a considerable amount of pain from various ailments and it has made me really depressed and have been very tearful, nobody likes feeling as if they've been through a combine harvester and then squished back together by a 3 year old.
It's okay that this is all I could manage because it has made me feel better. I'm looking forward to a good nights sleep and waking up early to get on with my day. Will I still feel like a dogs dinner tomorrow? More than likely, but I'll manage it similar to how I have today and then every day after that until I feel the benefits. I will feel them, eventually.

Self care is one of the easiest things to practise because it can be so simple but I can say from experience it can be incredibly difficult to do as well. Usually when it is most important for us every part of the brain is telling you it's better to curl up in bed and hide. 
Get a shower? Are you mad! That will take far too much effort. And let's not even mention brushing my hair or my teeth today. No, much better to lay in bed staring at the wall reminding myself how I'm crap at everything and nobody really likes me.👍

If getting out of bed and moving to the sofa is all you can manage, that is okay. At least you got out of bed.
All we can do is try our best, and our best is different everyday because we are different everyday.

Learn what works for you and try build on it over time. When you get up, make your bed. That way, even if you have a dreadful day you can go to bed knowing you achieved something and we all enjoy getting into a made bed.
Try putting tomorrows clothes out where you can see them when you wake up, then in the morning when you see them tell yourself "I'll get dressed and see how i feel".

Try to put yourself before everything and everyone else, after all, you can't pour from an empty cup and you can't spend what you haven't got.

Until next time,
stay safe, stay amazing💕

2 comments:

  1. True fish finger butty, love em. Having a day specially for my self good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self care is something I fail badly on.

    ReplyDelete

Bipolar Depression, Come On In.

Yesterday was 'Wonky Wednesday' in my local pub. I was certainly wonky. I'm still feeling extremely depressed, it took everyt...